Monday, October 4, 2010

Los Osuna......Agave Azul Distillery

We decided to make a trip to the Blue Agave Distillery of Los Osuna with our friends John and Rosie from the mv Serena Ray. Los Osuna is located approx. 30 miles outside of Mazatlan, within the state of Sinaloa. Los Osuna is a family owned operation that has been producing their tequila for over 134 years. The ranch has been in the Osuna family for over 200 years so there is quite a colorful history behind this distillery as you can imagine.

It was really interesting to see how they produce this extremely tasty tequila. They even still use underground brick ovens to roast the agave bulbs. After the tour we had a tasting of Los Osuna Reposado and I have to say that although I have never been a big fan of tequila this was without a doubt the best tequila I have ever tasted. If all tequila was this good I am sure I would be drinking a lot more tequila than I currently do. We did bring a bottle back to Chrokeva and since it seems the only place you can purchase Los Osuna is in Mazatlan (due to export taxes) we may have to pick up another bottle before leaving.
























No comments: